Oh MAY! May always feels like the sneakiest month to me…
While the word bikini may make your stomach turn knots in anxiety or have you screaming in excitement for your next beach trip, there’s plenty of things you can do for yourself to feel confident when the bikini day arrives:
1. Drink TONS of water! No, coffee (or margaritas!) don’t count. Really chug water to hydrate your body from the inside out. This will not only help curb cravings for snacks throughout the day, but your skin will glow. It’s the best way to flush out toxins from your body and keep your health in check. Try making your own fruity water for inspiration: Dolled Up Water.
2. Pick an exercise you actually enjoy doing! I may not love running but I really do love the “runners’ high” you get after an intense interval workout. It’s almost as if it brings me back to running track in high school. Find something that makes you feel good – get your friends to join you for a weekly girls’ hike so you can gossip along the way.
3. Cut the processed foods! “Eliminate as many processed foods and refined carbohydrates as possible. They cause fluid retention and bloat. If there are more than a few ingredients on a label or ingredients you can’t pronounce- don’t eat it! Consume lots of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains and lean proteins.” -WellQuest. No one likes to feel bloated in a bikini – don’t put yourself through that!
4. Keep your metabolism fueled! Eating three small meals with two snacks in between will keep you from binge eating later. Don’t find yourself in a situation where you’re so hungry, all you want is a Burrito Supreme (or two) from Taco Bell. Keep your body fueled with healthy foods to avoid the temptations of unhealthy choices. Don’t be afraid to eat, just make the right choices! Try one of these healthy snacks!
5. Get a (fake) tan! While the verdict’s still out on whether this actually helps or not, having a tan can help to hide imperfections. If I’m not getting a spray tan, I personally like to use St. Tropez ($42) or Jergens Gradual Tanner ($9) to get a glow before summer. Not only does it help to hide the appearance of cellulite but it helps to even out the skin tone! It makes me feel tan so I don’t get tempted to bake in the sun.
6. Try this workout plan: Bikini-Body Ready
7. Get a bikini wax! Ease your mind from any unwanted hair-down-there by having a professional wax your worries away! Make sure you research your waxing spot. Seeing an esthetician (skin care professional) is always the best approach and make sure wherever you go is clean!
Oh, last but not least, buy yourself a hot new bikini that you feel amazing in!